OUR VISION: UPO's Washington: A city of thriving
communities and self-sufficient residents.
OUR MISSION: Uniting People with Opportunities
OUR PROMISE: Community Action changes people's
lives, embodies the spirit of hope, improves communities,
and makes America a better place to live. We care about
the entire community, and we are dedicated to helping
people help themselves and each other.
The UPO Effect
As we have entered into our 50th year, we continue to gain strength and determination to reduce poverty, empower families and build stronger communities. Together, in 2012 we:
Uniting people with opportunities embodies the spirit of hope, assures individual growth and creates thriving communities!
2013 Income Eligibility Guidelines
- Placed over 700 individuals in FT & PT jobs
- Provided over 1,100 youth with educational and empowerment opportunities
- Raised over $600,000 in college scholarships investing in the futures of nearly 150 low-income, DC students
- Educated nearly 2,000 children in our early childhood education centers
- Provided free tax preparation to over 500 clients resulting in a total refund amount of $1,085,287
- Provided over 700 individuals with nutrition education and counseling
- Weatherized over 1,000 residential units providing energy savings approximately $400 a year
- Received over 180,000 volunteer commmunity service hours.
- Increased housing stabilityfor nearly 700 households.
- Provided emergency tranportation and outreach services to nearly 6,000 homesless persons.