Named in honor of the late Mr. Joseph A. Beavers who was a long standing UPO board member and a legendary District of Columbia labor leader, Mr. Beavers advanced the idea of a special scholarship program using the proceeds raised from the Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial Breakfast.
Since 1990 the scholarship fund has raised over $750,000 and assisted 150 students in realizing their dream of pursuing their college degree.
The scholarship application is announced in January of each year. To apply, students must:
- Reside in the District of Columbia;
- Be a high school senior attending a District of Columbia public school, charter school, or have earned a GED within the past two years;
- Demonstrate financial need as determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA);
- Have maintained at least a minimum 2.5 grade point average on a 4.0 scale; and
- Fall within certain income guidelines.
Download the 2015 Joseph A. Beavers Scholarship Application.
For More Information
Contact the UPO Youth Services Center in Ward 8 at:
1649-B Good Hope Rd. SE
Washington, DC 20020