Are you a DC resident making less than $56,000 a year?
Are you stressed about preparing your taxes?
We understand. Our dedicated IRS-certified volunteer tax preparers are here to help you. We run the largest free tax prep program in Ward 8 and the 2nd largest in the city.
VITA – Volunteer Income Tax Assistance
Thoughtful tax preparation is essential for you and your family to reach financial security. While most other preparers will charge you and take their fee out of your refund, our trustworthy IRS-certified volunteers and staff always help you for free because that’s part of UPO’s mission. As a community-based nonprofit, we Unite People with Opportunities so they can build a better life.
Our volunteers will:
- Walk you through your credit score
- Guide you through the tax-preparation process
- Secure the best possible refund for you
- Advise you on the best ways to use your refund to build savings and prepare for retirement
UPO has an outstanding track record of helping low and middle-income families gain financial stability. Last year alone our experts helped nearly 1,100 of our neighbors prepare their taxes, creating 787 tax returns and distributing $1 million in refunds to our community.
Why use UPO’s VITA instead of other tax prep services?
- Our program has an excellent 10-year reputation and was recognized by the IRS for being a model VITA site.
- UPO received a 2017 award from the IRS for our high refund production.
- We earned recognition in 2016 as a virtual site. Our skillful directors then trained IRS executives on the Earned Income Tax Credit program.
- Our longstanding partnership with Community Tax Aid ensures that our volunteers and staff are properly trained and supervised.
- Our ONLY goal is to help you prepare your taxes to gain financial security — NOT take your money!
“I am grateful to the UPO staff who prepared my taxes and gave me good advice. [The refund] changed my life because I was able to get a 3-bedroom apartment, keep up with my bills, and plan for the future.”
– Annie Smith, who received free tax prep with VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance)
ARE YOU READY TO JOIN US?
Our 2021 VITA tax program opens from January 25th and runs for 11 weeks until April 15th. Call us in late December to set a time for your free, expert tax prep!
(Opens in late December)
Free Tax Preparation will be provided at:
UPO PETEY GREENE COMMUNITY SERVICE CENTER
2907 Martin Luther King JR. AVE, SE
Washington, DC 20032
Hours of Operation
MONDAYS, TUESDAYS, THURSDAYS
5:30 PM – 7:30 PM (Appointment only)
10:00 AM -2:00 PM (Senior & Disabled only, by Appointment)
SUPER SATURDAYS: 1/30 – 2/6 – 3/6 – 4/3
From 10:00 AM (Walk-Ins only)
What You Need to Bring
- Valid Photo ID for you and spouse (if filing jointly)
- ORIGINALS ONLY of Social Security Cards or ITIN letters for you, spouse (if filing jointly), and any dependents
- W2’s, 1099’s, and any other income documents for you, your spouse (if filing jointly), and any dependents
- Records of expenses (child care, student loans, medical, etc)
- 1095-A If you bought health insurance through the exchange (healthcare.gov, DC Healthlink, Maryland Health Connection)
- 1098-T if you paid college tuition or expenses
- Copy of your 2019 tax return ( we can no longer access records from previous years)
- Account and routing number for direct deposit of your refund
Customers who Utilize UPO’s Free Tax Preparation Service will also have access to
- Free or reduced rate Banking Services with UPO’s on-site Bank Partners
- Taxpayer Advocate Svc. will be available to assist taxpayers in person with tax problems -Super Saturdays Only.
- Opportunity to sign up with medicare/medicaid supplemental plans
- Free Credit Report and Counseling
- Registration for SNAP benefits