Are you struggling to make your monthly rent or mortgage payment? Trying to avoid foreclosure? Looking to fix up your current home or put a down payment on a new one?
Rent and Utility Assistance When You Need It!
STAY DC is a financial assistance program for D.C. renters and housing providers who are looking for support to cover housing and utility expenses and offset the loss of income. Apply today to receive money you can use to help you pay for your rent, gas, water, and electricity.
How to apply: stay.dc.gov
Since 1962 UPO has helped families achieve their goals. Let us help you. Call today and learn more about submitting a DC STAY Application.
Application Drop Offsite Hours:
Hours: 9:30am – 4:00pm
2907 Martin Luther King Jr. Ave SE
Washington, DC 20032
To inquire more about DC STAY or schedule an appointment. Contact us at:
(202) 238-4647 or (202) 231-7910
Our housing counseling services provide the support, advice, and assistance you need to avoid homelessness, become a responsible tenant or owner, and live in comfort, safety, and security.
Wall-to-wall housing services
Do you feel confused or overwhelmed by the prospect of buying a house in DC? This is a great time to buy when interest rates are low! Our staff of trained professionals will make you mortgage ready with three steps.
- Education. Attend our homebuyer workshop to learn about the home-buying process, step by step. Our counselors discuss budgeting to buy a house, finding a lender, self-repairing credit, working with a realtor, understanding settlement and maintaining your house.
- One-on-one counseling. We walk through your personal challenges and create an action plan that will help you budget, improve your credit and prepare you for homeownership.
- Housing Assistance. DC offers up to $80,000 through its housing assistance program (HPAP) for income-qualified residents. Qualified DC government employees can receive an interest free loan that is repaid with the house is re-sold, re-financed or no longer the owner’s principle residence through the Employer Assisted Housing Program (EAHP). There is no income qualification for EAHP, and residents can use it to purchase a house up $726,525. UPO’s counselors will help you apply for these programs.
To reserve a spot for our next homebuyer workshop or to make an appointment, please call : (202) 231-7922 or email email@example.com.
Budget and Credit Counseling
Our home buying and counseling services also include education designed to show you how to spend credit wisely, manage money on a day-to-day basis, and develop plans for reducing debt and saving for the future.
Individuals who are not affiliated with a bank or have limited access to banking services can access our financial literacy programs and products through UPO’s partnership with Bank on DC.
For more information about our financial literacy services, please call : (202) 231-7922.
UPO is approved as a Housing Counseling Agency by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).
Keeping the Dream
Are you late in paying your mortgage or concerned about your ability to pay in the future? We provide free assistance to borrowers in distress.
Homeowners who are facing default or have already defaulted on a mortgage may speak with one of our foreclosure prevention counselors or set up a session to discuss their options moving forward.
For more information or to schedule an appointment, please call : (202) 231-7922.
Looking for an affordable new apartment or house in DC? Sign up for Inclusionary Zoning (IZ)!
- Inclusionary Zoning is a program that sets aside 10% of new units in apartment or housing developments for people earning a lower income.
- You must register by attending a workshop offered by UPO and other providers and following the process for signing up.
- Once registered, you will be notified when a unit becomes available.
- You must be ready to occupy the unit when contacted. If you need credit counseling to qualify, make an appointment now with a UPO housing counselor!
- You must meet the income guidelines to qualify for housing and earn no more than 80% of the median family income. (See the DHCD website and this PDF for details on income, rent, and purchase prices.)
UPO holds virtual IZ workshops every month on chosen Wednesdays. Sign up for a workshop – call (202) 238-4682 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
TD RENTAL ASSISTANCE PROGRAM (TD-RAP)
To inquire more about TD-RAP or schedule an appointment, please call us at: : (202) 238 4647 | (202) 231 7910